Hammond Hill, NY
Directions to Hammond Hill Cabin
- From the intersection of highway 366 with route 13 at the NYSEG building, drive east 4.5 miles towards Dryden. Turn right on Irish Settlement road.
- The road will jog briefly after a quarter mile, follow the main route for a total of 3.5 miles to the left intersection of Hammond Hill Road
- Turn left and pass the Star Stanton turnoff at 0.3 miles. At 0.6 miles there will be a parking area on the right: park here.
- Coordinates of the parking area in WGS84 datum (for GPS users) are: 42d26.222N, 76d18.342W, 1670ft. (42.437033 -76.3057)
- Continue down the road -- shortly you will encounter a sign declaring the road as unmaintained and the condition will deteriorate. The path is a moderate but continuous climb.
- At 0.76 miles you'll see the hiking trail B1 cross the road (blue circle with a "B1" in it tacked onto trees). Keep going.
- At 0.83 miles the climb ends momentarily and levels out. Look for the turnoff to another unmaintained path on the right (coordinates 42d25.502N, 76d18.239W, 1954ft). (42.425033 -76.303983)
- Turn RIGHT, and continue down this route for 0.15miles, descending slightly, and see the cabin on the right (coordinates 42d25.385N, 76d18.356W, 1916ft). (42.423083 -76.305933)
By mountain bike, the approximately one mile distance can be covered in only a few minutes, limited only by ones' hill climbing ability. The return trip is almost all downhill except for the final climb to the parking lot.
As of September 2016, the road was still passable to the cabin to four wheel drive vehicles with decent clearance.
Our contact with Cornell Plantations (who control the cabin but with whom we have an agreement to use and maintain it) is Hal Martin (email@example.com) -- who should be contacted when the cabin is either maintained or used.
Notes on Facilities "Institutional Memory"
- Cornell Plantations will fund general repair and upkeep of the Hammond Hill Cabin. (probably must contact first and seek approval) The contact person is Hal Martin firstname.lastname@example.org
Chronology of Major Facilities Alterations
- Summer 2001 - Hammond Hill work parties. Annie and Al Becker led groups to repair the roof at the Hammond Hill Cabin and also to perform general upkeep.